The Database Administrator is under the direct supervision of the Director of IT Systems. The Database Administrator is responsible for carrying out the tasks assigned by the Director of IT Systems for the development and application support division of the department of Information Technology systems.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
A Bachelors Degree in computer related field or equivalent certificate or certification is a plus. The Database Administrator must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and must be task oriented and able to work on 2 to 3 medium to large projects simultaneously. A positive attitude in a high pressure environment is a must. Familiarity with system development life cycle methodology, basic testing strategies, object oriented programming, basic understanding of ANSI SQL, relational databases, procedural and web programming/design is a plus.
· Translate Strategic Objectives from the Director into objectives to the accomplishment of organizational goals
· Understand and execute IT Systems guidelines
· Maintain a positive attitude
· Organize and manage complex tasks
· Work outside the normal business hours as the position demands
· Participate in medium to large projects as a team member
· Capacity planning; including planning data flows for a new or revised database
· Maintaining data standards; writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary ('metadata')
· Controlling access permissions and privileges
· Training users
· Meeting users' access requirements and resolving their problems
· Ensuring that storage, archiving, backup and recovery procedures are regularly tested and functioning correctly
· Communicating regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff, to ensure the database integrity and security
· Commissioning and installing new applications
· Working within the framework of the system development life cycle methodology.
· Carrying out tasks assigned by the Director of IT
· Communicating with the client community during various project phases.
· Participates in regular training programs
· May provide functional supervision for specific project assignments.