"Now therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone."
Through this foundation of the apostles and prophets flow the Holy Scripture and all doctrine bringing forth a strong, Holy Spirit-filled, spiritual building which is the body of our Lord Jesus Christ with Him being the Corner Stone and a part of this united gift.
The Southern Diocese's "Questions & Answers" Web site has been designed to help you become that strong, Holy Spirit-filled, spiritual building. Therefore, any questions concerning spiritual struggles and spiritual issues such as repentance, prayer, fasting, and participation in the sacramental life of the church are for this website to provide help with.
"O Gracious Master, infuse in our hearts the spotless light of Thy Divine Wisdom and open the eyes of our mind that we may understand the teachings of Thy Gospels."
If you have a question for the Southern Diocese, please click
here to submit it.
5 Most Recently Added Questions
- I wanted to know if the Coptic Church has any view on involvement in politics. For instance, is it advisable or not advisable to be involved in running for an electoral position? Also, there is a political movement called, the "American Solidarity Party." This party consists primarily of Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches, and advocates Catholic social justice teaching, specifically principles called, "subsidiarity" and "distributism," as well as a focus on family as central to human life, anti-abortion, etc. These stem from anti-enlightenment ideas and writings as well as the teachings of the Catholic pontiff on social justice up until the present. Similar parties exist world wide—some in positions of leadership, under names such as, "Christian Democrats." Due to the ecumenical nature of this political party (although not advocating "state Christianity” per se) is it okay to be involved? Is this party possibly the work of the Holy Spirit in the U.S. political system? (Added 09/30/2017)
- My wife and I have been married for almost a year and we still have not had a physical relationship. She has given me hints that she does not want to be intimate. Is it possible to get an annulment? (Added 08/31/2017)
- Why were some of the books removed from the Bible? (Ex: Tobit)
Why we never read them in church? What are the names of all those books? Is John the Beloved same as St. John who wrote one of the 4 Books in the Bible? Is he the same as the one who wrote the Book of Revelation? (Added 08/31/2017)
- I have been thinking about monasticism for a while. I am 30 years old and currently working on completing my bachelor degree. I am also thinking to continue for a master’s degree in the same field or if I find something in Christian studies. Sometimes I think that it is better to focus on my spiritual life and become a monk after my studies than to continue for a master degree. I talked about it to my priest and he told me that many consider that option and after change the idea. I went with a friend for 2-3 days to a Catholic monastery to see how it feels and I found it really peaceful. I am a little bit of shy person and maybe this can cause a problem to live in a community of monks. Should I take some steps further, like taking a retreat for couple of days in a Coptic monastery or talk about it to another priest? (Added 08/31/2017)
- I was curious about the verse in Deuteronomy 11:18 that says, "You shall put these words of Mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall tie them for a sign upon your arm, and they shall be as totafot between your eyes," and other verses like Exodus 13:9, Exodus 13:16, and Deuteronomy 6:8 that refer to the same practice. I know that Orthodox Jews understand this as to wear a box with Old Testament passages wrapped with leather straps on their head and on their arm during their prayers to remind them of God and to not be distracted by other worldly thoughts. Was this practice effective during Jesus’s time among the Jews? Was Jesus using these or was He against it? Were early Judeo-Christians using this method? I know that we should pray to God truly in spirit but the material strap could be a good method to remember God always as we are sometime weak spiritual humans. Is there any relation about this practice in our Coptic Church heritage? (Added 08/31/2017)
3 Most Popular Questions